Saturday, February 2, 2008

Scott's Broccoli Salad


My salivary glands are in overdrive. In the window in which I type my posts, this picture looms large. More than life size. But that little nubbin of walnut sitting there on the side looks so real I could reach through the screen to tuck it in my mouth.

I met my friend Joan W. at the Long Beach Yacht Club the other day. Long Beach is about 30 miles west of where we live. Joan's a member of the Yacht Club, so we occasionally meet there. She and I met in about 1995 at an NAIC (National Association of Investor's Corp.) seminar - we're both in investment clubs, and sat next to one another for the day while we learned all about how to use a specific software package called Toolkit, made for investment clubs, and for individual investors too. We've been friends ever since!

The salad bar and carving station are available every weekday at the Yacht Club, and it was wonderful. Joan told me I needed to try the broccoli salad, that it's a favorite of hers. Sounded good to me. Oh my. Was this ever delicious. It's the honey that is the wild card in this recipe. It's a sweet salad, but somehow broccoli seems to be able to handle some sweet. Fortunately for me - and for you, my dear readers - Joan has the recipe, that was devised by the Yacht Club's chef, Scott, a real winner of a recipe.

Cook's Notes: Understand, please, that I haven't made this, but I think I'd try this without candying the walnuts - it's plenty sweet already. But I don't want to detract a thing from Scott's recipe. It's a stunning one, and if you like the combo with the honey and sweet walnuts, go for it!

Scott's Broccoli Salad
1 bunch broccoli, raw, chopped
1/2 small red onion, julienned
2 T. dried cranberries
1/2 cup candied walnuts
1/2 cup Stilton cheese, or Blue, crumbled
3/4 cup honey mustard dressing (see below)
Combine everything except dressing, then add dressing, just so the vegetables are covered to your satisfaction, and serve.

Honey Mustard Dressing
1 cup honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 dash red wine vinegar
Pepper to taste
Combine ingredients and stir to mix thoroughly.
Per Serving (recipe assumes you use all the dressing, which you will not): 207 Calories; trace Fat (1.9% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 61mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.
Printer-friendly recipe, click title at top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Aunt makes something very similar and it is one of my favorite dishes of hers!