Saturday, February 23, 2008

White Lady - an elegant cocktail


This looks like some sweet cream-based blended cocktail. It's not. And it's not really all that sweet, either. What it has in it is egg white (raw) which is shaken with the other ingredients, so when it's first poured it does have a bit of a cloudy look. This is kind of a martini. Or kind of like a margarita, in a way.


At the dinner party last weekend, we decided to offer not only wine, but a cocktail too. This was yet another recipe that found its way to the top of the "try me" file. And it was scrumptious, if you can describe a cocktail by that word. I'm looking forward to making it again. Even just for myself. The glasses are my friend Cherrie's. I don't own any martini type glasses. I need to look for some, but oh, dear. Where in the world am I going to store them? They're an awkward shape to store with any efficiency.


Several people had two of these cocktails, they were that good. The recipe came from Bon Appetit, January 2006. And it's a drink concocted by the Pegu Club (bar) in New York City.


I had all the ingredients standing ready, and you could easily make two of them at a time. You need fresh lemons, triple sec (or Cointreau, which is what I had), very good gin (Cherrie brought Bombay Sapphire, which in the opinion of many, the best out there), egg whites (which I very slightly whipped so I could actually use a measuring spoon to dip into it) and some ice. The ingredients go into a shaker and you pour it out. The recipe said to strain out the ice, but this is one gutsy drink, so I left the ice cubes in the drink. Your choice.

White Lady
Recipe By : Bon Appetit, Jan. 2006
Serving Size : 1
1/4 cup gin -- Tanqueray, or Bombay Sapphire
2 tablespoons Triple Sec -- or Cointreau
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon egg white
1. Combine all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice cubes. Shake well. Strain into a cocktail or martini glass. Garnish with lemon slice if desired.
Per Serving: 265 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 26mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit.
Printer-friendly recipe, click title at top.

No comments: