Friday, December 21, 2007

Rocky Road


When I tell you this is yum - easy - simple - quick - believe me. It is all of those things. But the YUM part is what you need to remember. This Rocky Road recipe isn't all that different from others you may have read. Until a few years ago I'd not had this, but the addition of butterscotch chips and peanut butter gives rocky road a whole different taste. Time? My guess is that making it takes a total of about 10 minutes.

My friend Chris H. gave me this recipe, and she makes it all year around, I think. What it is, is delicious. Great for the holidays. I'm making it especially for my cousin who is gluten intolerant. He enjoys Christmas goodies, but can't have most of them - like cookies, etc. - because he can't eat anything with flour in it. Rocky Road has no flour. He'll be a happy camper. We'll just have to keep the grandchildren to stay out of it. This will be just for Gary.

Here are the butterscotch and chocolate chips melting together.

And here's the mixture once it's smushed into a 9x13 pan, ready for refrigeration.

Rocky Road
Recipe By: Chris H., a friend from church
Serving Size : 24 - 36
12 ounces chocolate chips
12 ounces butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
16 ounces miniature marshmallows
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a medium saucepan melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips until just creamy. Remove from heat then add peanut butter and stir until thoroughly combined, with no streaks of peanut butter or butterscotch. Allow to cool for about 2-3 minutes.
2. While warm, add the walnuts and marshmallows and stir until combined. Do not allow the marshmallows to melt.
3. Press foil into a 9 x 13 pan and spoon the rocky road into it, press out to fill corners and edges, chill. Keep in refrigerator, although you can put them out at room temperature, but the chocolate definitely melts in your fingers that way!
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 247 Calories; 10g Fat (35.2% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 42mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
To print a PDF recipe, click title at top.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't had Rocky Road candy in years, not since I made it in 1980! If I can find butterscotch pieces in UK I will definitely make it again, it sounds delicious.

By the way, in case I don't get back here in time, have a wonderful time at Christmas and New Year.

Carolyn T said...

Hope you're successful in finding the butterscotch chips. And thanks for the greetings. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas & New Year too.