Monday, December 17, 2007

Gulliver's Creamed Spinach


Someone who reads my blog has asked me to share the recipe for Gulliver's Creamed Spinach. It's awfully good too. I haven't made it in several years, so I don't have a photo of it, although I found a photo for something similar on the Food Network site. Here is the recipe, directly from the same book as the Gulliver's Creamed Corn, that I blogged about just yesterday: Culinary SOS: Thirty Years of Recipe Requests, by Rose Dosti (from the Los Angeles Times). According to the blurb in the book, The Times first published the recipe in 1974.

Gulliver's Creamed Spinach
2 10-ounce packages frozen leaf spinach
3 slices bacon
1 small onion
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1. Thaw spinach, squeeze completely dry. [Separately] chop spinach, bacon and onion very fine. In saucepan, saute bacon with onion until bacon is cooked.
2. Stir in flour to make smooth paste. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes over low heat until thickened. Add salt and pepper. Add spinach to sauce and mix to blend. Heat through. Serves 6.

No comments: