Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Heavenly Cream Cheese Brownies


It all started when I was sifting through my file for cookies to bake. Our son-in-law, Todd, asked about the chocolate-chocolate chip cookies I blogged about 2 weeks ago. I don't suppose Todd reads my blog normally. But my laptop that lives here in the kitchen is the one he uses in the evenings to catch up on his email. My blog was up, front and center last night, so he started glancing through it, spying things he's eaten in the last couple of weeks. He spotted the picture of the cookies. There's just one measly cookie left in the freezer, I was sad to tell him.
So I wanted to make something for him to snack on while he's here. Nothing jumped out at me amongst my stand-bys, so I went to my file. The 100+ clippings I have from over 40 years of saving recipes. I used to be in an annual Christmas cookie exchange, so I have all those recipes. And little slips of paper from friends and acquaintances. Plus the bulk of magazine and newspaper clips, and a few taken from the internet. I had so many that some years ago I had to divide them up by cookie type (chocolate, bars, brownie type, holiday, spice, candy-type, etc.).

(this is my old recipe notebook circa 1965)
But, in looking through the very large stacks, I spied a photo of a cream cheese brownie which brought back a flood of memories. I went to my old binder where I used to hand-write all my favorite recipes. Went right to the page where I had my recipe for "Heavenly Cream Cheese Brownies." The recipe is not there. The yellowed scotch tape is still there, but the recipe, a magazine clipping, is missing.

I knew the name was exactly "Heavenly Cream Cheese Brownies. Figuring I'd find hundreds of listings on the internet, I put in exactly that phrase into my google search box. Nothing. Huh? How can that be? There's a site that tries to recreate or house archives of "lost" recipes. It's called
astray. I was certain it would be there. No, not by that name. After spending far too much time looking at various "cream cheese brownie" recipes I went to my cookbooks and figured some of those home-spun cookbooks I have would list this. Nada.

I don't remember what type of chocolate the recipe used, but it seems to me that it was German's sweet chocolate. The method: you poured some of the brownie mixture in the bottom of an 8x8 pan, then poured on the cream cheese batter that had a tad of flour in it (there wasn't enough to cover the chocolate layer), then you blobbed on the last of the chocolate batter, which also didn't cover completely. Then you ran a knife through it to swirl it around. Bake, slice and eat. I always loved that recipe.

I dug out my box of chocolate ingredients. Actually I have more than one, but this one contains the myriad of bar chocolates I use for baking. Thankfully, there was a bar of German's sweet chocolate amidst this pile. I do eat chocolate too. But I diligently limit myself to about 1 ounce when I do. My preference for eating is the low-effective carb bars from Trader Joe's. The dark chocolate type. I wanted to stock up on them (to take on our upcoming trip), but TJ's is currently out of them. Hope that's not permanent.

My guess is that the cream cheese brownies recipe was first published (in a magazine ad) in the 1970's. My recollection is that it was an ad for Knudsen Philadelphia style cream cheese. I remember reading it and thinking, what a novel idea. I tried it right away, and was very pleased with it. Over the years I probably made it more than 20 times. Now, of course, that I don't have the original recipe, I was feeling bereft.

I finally found a recipe on
allrecipes for a cream cheese brownie. It does use the German's chocolate, and looks much like the one I remember. And the directions seem to ring a bell. Many of the recipes I found used a brownie mix. I didn't want to do that, since I was sure the chocolate wasn't cocoa, or Hershey's liquid. So I wanted the real thing. So this one, submitted by a gal named Rosina, fit the bill. I also found a couple of recipes on the astray website that called them German's sweet chocolate cream cheese brownies. They're identical to this one, so I think I found the recipe. I'll hope so. Here's the batter all ready for the oven. I did use about 7 ounces of cream cheese. The original recipe calls for just a 3-ounce package. So mine have more of that light cheese swirl.

The report: excellent. They were exactly what I remembered. Bereft no longer, am I.

Cream Cheese Brownies
Recipe: allrecipes.com
Serving Size : 16
4 ounces chocolate -- German sweet bar
5 tablespoons butter
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/4 cup sugar
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Melt chocolate with 3 tablespoons of the butter over very low heat. Stir constantly until smooth. Set aside to cool.
2. Cream remaining 2 tablespoons butter with cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar. Cream until light and fluffy. Blend into this 1 of the eggs, 1 tablespoon flour and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Set aside.
3. Now beat the remaining 2 eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually beat into them 3/4 cup sugar. Continue beating until thickened. Stir in the baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup flour. Add to this the cooled chocolate mixture. Blend well. Stir in the nuts and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
4. Spread half of the chocolate batter into an 8x8 inch greased baking pan. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the top. Then drop the remaining chocolate batter by tablespoons over the top of the cream cheese mixture. Swirl through batter layers with a spatula for a marbled effect.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pan. Cut into squares or bars.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 221 Calories; 14g Fat (56.9% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 65mg Cholesterol; 142mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.
To view a PDF recipe, click title at top.

No comments: