Friday, August 24, 2007

Salmon with Pickled Ginger/Butter Sauce


(photo from wildoats.com)
When I watched Phillis Carey make this sauce at a cooking class, I thought, piously, oh, I won't eat but a bite of that, it's just got too much fat in it. Hmmm. Yea. Sure. I tasted it and my resolve went right out the window - my mouth went into a heavenly state. Well, why not, with that much butter in it? But the combination of the butter, the pickled ginger and the basil. Oh my.

I really considered not posting this recipe because of the quantity of butter. But this is just so darned good, I just had to. If you want to watch fat grams, then reduce the quantity of sauce. I think you could. As I recall a lot of the butter sauce drizzles around the plate anyway - you don't get it all right ON the salmon. The calorie and fat content assumes you consume all that sauce, which you won't. So that makes it better for us, right? Sure.

Previously I've mentioned Phillis Carey, her cookbooks, and her creativity with chicken. I mean, the woman is a magician and an Einstein all rolled into one when she invents new dishes using chicken. Plus, she makes them really flavorful and moist. Phillis applies the same ingredient creativity to salmon. I mean, she can't do chicken at every cooking class, right? But, who would have thought to use pickled ginger with salmon? My mind just doesn't work in those tangents, I guess. But I'm glad Phillis' does. And so will you if you try this. This makes a wonderful company meal. And if you read my posting about how I grade cooking class recipes, this one merited a "fabulous." That means it's a MUST FIX. And I did. And I do. And I will.

Salmon with Pickled Ginger and Basil Butter Sauce
Recipe: Phillis Carey, from a cooking class
Servings: 6
36 ounces salmon fillets -- in 6-ounce steaks
1 cup white wine -- not Chardonnay
1/4 cup rice vinegar -- not seasoned style
2 whole shallots -- chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- chilled
3 tablespoons pickled ginger -- divided use
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh basil -- minced
1. Preheat oven to 375. Arrange salmon fillets on a parchment lined baking sheet.
2. In a heavy saucepan over high heat, bring to a boil the wine, vinegar, shallots, fresh ginger and HALF of the pickled ginger. Boil it until it is reduced by half. (You can do this up to one day ahead.) Reduced heat to medium low and slowly add the 1 1/2 cups of butter, one tablespoon at a time. Do NOT boil. Strain the sauce, then season with salt and pepper and stir in the basil and remaining pickled ginger.
3. Melt the remaining 2 T. of butter and brush on the salmon. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until just cooked through.Serve salmon with some of the sauce and pour remaining sauce in a pitcher and serve at the table.
Serving Ideas : This can also be made with halibut. Broccoli or asparagus are great sides for this.
NOTES : Chardonnay is too tart for this dish - the chef preferred a Sauvignon Blanc or something a little sweeter than Chardonnay.
Per Serving: 669 Calories; 56g Fat (77.6% calories from fat); 35g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 223mg Cholesterol; 123mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 10 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
To view a printable recipe, click on title at top.

No comments: