Saturday, July 28, 2007

My mother's Crisp Apple Pudding


January 2008: I'm updating this recipe because when I posted it originally I didn't have my own photo for it. Made it this evening, and took a photo. Otherwise, this posting is not new.
I would be ever so negligent if I didn't post one of my favorite recipes, my mother's Crisp Apple Pudding. I've been making this for as long as I've been cooking (that began in 1962). It was written out in my mother's small recipe journal, something she began when SHE got married in the 1930's, a recipe from her mother. And she passed this recipe on to me when I got married. My mother is gone now. Bless her heart. I loved her so much. But she lives on in this recipe for sure. I think of her every time I fix this.

I believe - but I'm not sure - that this recipe came from a vintage (probably 1930's version) Betty Crocker Cookbook. Or maybe it was a Better Homes & Gardens. Did they publish cookbooks back in the 1930's? I think one time in a used book store I saw a very old, stained copy of one of those books and glanced in it, and sure enough, it looked like this recipe. It has one very unique technique that I've not seen in any recipes I've studied. Even today. I did a search just now, and after looking at probably 40-50 apple crisp recipes, with variations of toppings (this one has no oatmeal or brown sugar in it), not a single one of them sprinkles the topping with water. That's what gives this apple dessert its crispness, a different texture for sure. I love it - of course, it's what I grew up having when my mother made this, so it's what I think is the "right" kind of apple crisp. Note that this dessert has a whopping 5 grams of fat per serving.

One year either Bon Appetit or Gourmet did a very in-depth article about crisps, buckles, pandowdies and slumps. They are all similar, but not quite the same. And this technique was not in there, either. I even wrote a letter to the writer of that article about it. Never heard from her. Oh well. Her loss!

So, here is my mother's recipe: Sliced apples, piled into a 8x8 Pyrex or metal baking dish, with a floury-egg-sugar based crumbly topping, dotted with a little butter, and sprinkled with cinnamon and a bit more sugar. THEN, it's sprinkled with water to give that topping an honest-to-goodness crust. Once baked the topping melds together into a crust, and rises a little bit since it has baking powder in it. Allow to cool about an hour, then serve with warm cream or whipped cream. Ice cream is okay too, but whipped cream is better, I think. I've cut down a little on the sugar - I think originally it called for 1 cup, so if you like it sweeter, go ahead and add the full amount. And I hate to say this, but in a pinch, this is marvelous for breakfast.

Crisp Apple Pudding
Recipe By :From an ancient Betty Crocker cookbook, I believe, but via my mother.
Servings: 6-8
1 cup flour
7/8 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 whole egg -- beaten
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
4 large apples -- peeled and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spread sliced apples into an 8x8 pan. Sift together the flour, sugar and baking powder. Add the egg and mix well. Spread this mixture over the top of the apples, spreading as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the top with the spices and the 2 T. of sugar. Using your fingers or a small spoon, sprinkle water over the topping, sprinkling as evenly as possible. Dab the butter on top, in small pieces.
3. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until top is brown. Allow to cool about an hour, or until it's room temperature.
Serving Ideas : Can be served with whipped cream or Cool-Whip
NOTES : The preparation of this apple dish is a little different because of the water sprinkled over the top. It gives the pudding a wonderful crispy top. This travels well, although it's best eaten the day it's made.
Per Serving: 309 Calories; 5g Fat (15.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 46mg Cholesterol; 133mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fruit; 1 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.
To view a printable recipe, click on title at top.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just pulled this recipe out of the oven and was puzzled why mine had a very different (dry) look than yours.

Oooops, just realized I skipped the *dotting of the butter* step. I will have to try this again because it sounds so GOOD...especially the Apple Crisp PUDDING part!

Carolyn T said...

Randi - hope you sprinkled the top with the water - that's the most important step. Really this dish is more like a cobbler than a pudding. But that's what Betty Crocker called it and who am I to change a name, I guess? Hope you enjoyed it anyway!
Carolyn