Saturday, June 16, 2007

Yep - that's it! Roasted Poblano Asiago Soup


Remember a couple of weeks ago I posted about my dinner visit to Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena? And I showed a picture of the soup Cherrie and I had that night that we thought was so terrific - Tomatillo, Poblano and Asiago soup? And I researched on the internet and found a recipe from Stephan Pyles restaurant in Dallas?

Here's what Cindy's soup looked like:
Here's my soup: Well, I'm here to tell you, this is very close if not one and the same. It looks the same. It tastes just about the same. And I'm a very happy camper, because now I can make this soup in a big quantity and freeze it like I do with most of my soups.

So what's different at all? Well, the waitress at Cindy's told us they sauteed the tomatillos for one thing. And they use masa to thicken the soup. I hunted all over in my pantry, but didn't have any. I didn't have any fine grind corn flour either (other than cornstarch, and I was certain that wasn't what we wanted here). I did have polenta and cornmeal, but they're both too coarse. So I used the regular flour called for in the recipe. And she thought there wasn't any cream in it, but this soup (with milk and a little cream) looks JUST like theirs, so I'd say they did. Make sure you don't get a single poblano chile seed in the soup - it won't puree very well.
If I changed anything next time I make it, I will use less cheese. Asiago has a slightly bitter taste on the palate, and I think less would be an improvement. I only had a little over 1/2 pound, and the recipe called for 10 ounces. I think it has ample at that, and could easily be reduced, so I've changed the quantity in the recipe below. Asiago melts into the soup well - it's doesn't become stringy and difficult as some cheeses can do when added to hot soups. I did quick/flash fry the tomatillos first. A little olive oil, a hot burner and they browned in a hurry. Tomatillos have a lot of water in them, so once that was rendered out, they reduced to small pieces. I also sauteed the onion with the tomatillo, then the poblanos before adding any of the liquid. I've changed the recipe to that effect. I also didn't strain the soup. I think the little bit of texture tastes just fine. I blended it well, though, so it wouldn't have to be strained.
I can tell you I love simple soups, and this is one. You're not likely to have all the ingredients on hand, however, but this one is certainly worth a trip to the market to buy the poblanos, the tomatillos, Asiago cheese, spinach and cilantro. Oh, yes, I'll be making this again. Most definitely. Soon.
Roasted Poblano-Asiago Cheese Soup
Recipe adapted from one by: Chef Matthew Dunn, Stephan Pyles (restaurant), Dallas Servings : 6 Makes about 7 cups

5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons butter -- at room temperature
2 whole poblano chiles -- roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 whole onion -- chopped
3/4 pound tomatillos -- husked, rinsed, chopped
3 cloves garlic -- chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 cup spinach -- cleaned
4 ounces Asiago cheese -- grated, or more to taste
1/2 bunch cilantro -- chopped
Salt -- to taste
Fresh ground pepper -- to taste
1. In a mixing bowl, mix the flour and butter with a fork until the flour is totally incorporated.
2. Place the poblanos, onion, tomatillos, garlic, chicken stock, cream and milk in a pan and bring to a boil. Whisk in the flour and butter mixture and continue to whisk until lumps of flour disappear. Cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens. While stirring, add spinach, Asiago cheese and cilantro and continue to cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to a blender in batches and blend until completely smooth.
3. Strain through a medium strainer back into the heavy pan, season with salt and pepper and keep warm. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and garnish with tortilla strips and Pico de Gallo, if desired. Or sprinkle with additional chopped cilantro.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 317 Calories; 24g Fat (66.8% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 76mg Cholesterol; 899mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat.
To view a printable recipe, click on the title at the top.

No comments: