Thursday, May 3, 2007

Mock Caesar Dressing from the Mexican Village

Do you have go-to salad dressings like I do? My repertoire contains a list of about 8 dressings that I rely on, depending on my mood or a particular meal when I want a specific flavor addition to a meal. This is one of those, and it's been a keeper since I first tasted it at the Mexican Village Restaurant, a 1960's vintage restaurant in Coronado, California. I loved this dressing whenever I went to the restaurant, and was overjoyed when, in the 1970's the San Diego Union Tribune printed a recipe, purportedly the original, but maybe it was somebody's interpretation. Why it was called "Mock" Caesar, I really don't know. It does have garlic, Parmesan, oil and anchovy paste in it (no lemon juice, though). It's really just another style of garlic-Parmesan-blue cheese vinaigrette. But whatever it really is, it's really tasty. I go-to to this often.

It keeps stored in the refrigerator for several weeks. It is at its best during the first few days, but it's really just fine for a long time. Years ago I used to make this with the Kraft dry, crumbled Parmesan cheese in the paper can, because I sure didn't know much about the real, Italian Reggiano-Parmesano cheese. I use the latter now, but it's certainly possible that the Mexican Village used the paper-can type themselves. It's certainly cheaper!

SIDE NOTES ABOUT WHITE WINE VINEGAR: In the photo above, you'll notice at the top right is a gray bottle. That's my white-wine-vinegar jar/pot. I have this white (well, gray) one and a red one. Into those bottles go any dregs of wine that doesn't get consumed. Initially I started with about 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of wine in each bottle. I let it marinate (room temp is fine) for several days to allow it to develop, then you merely add more wine remnants. It can go months without additions. These bottles just reside on my pantry shelves. Don't use sweet wines. And occasionally taste the mixture - if it's not sour or tart enough, add 1/2 cup of vinegar to the bottle.

Mock Caesar Dressing
3/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 large garlic clove
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons green onions
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons blue cheese
1 teaspoon anchovy paste

Smash the garlic clove with the side of a chef's knife to remove the skin. Drop into blender container with the salt. Whiz briefly and allow to sit while you collect the other ingredients. Add all remaining ingredients and blend well. Refrigerate for a few hours before using. Makes about 2 cups.

Serving Ideas : Use different kinds of greens, but few vegies in the salad so the dressing shows through.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 132 Calories; 14g Fat (95.0% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 305mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
To print the recipe in pdf, click the title above.

No comments: