Monday, April 30, 2007

Beer Margaritas - and I don't LIKE beer!

First off, I don't have a photo of this. Obviously I was enjoying the margaritas so much I forgot! Would you have ever tried beer margaritas? I know I wouldn't have. But, last week my friend Cherrie and I attended a cooking class focusing on the food for Cinco de Mayo; the teacher is one of our favorites, Phillis Carey, who teaches at A Store for Cooks in Laguna Niguel, and at a couple of places in San Diego, where she lives. Rarely does Phillis demonstrate anything that Cherrie and I don't like, but we shook our heads and made frownie faces as she was describing it and mixing it up. Cherrie doesn't drink beer, either, but we both whispered that we'd take a sip. Just a little sip. Hah! We both drank the glasses down to the last drop. Not fast, mind you, but we enjoyed it. We both like margaritas, and the flavor is really very similar.

The initial taste of beer is okay with me. It's the bitter aftertaste that I don't like. Sometimes on a truly blistering hot, summer day I will drink beer if it's offered. Otherwise I pass it up every time. But this - there is a little hint of that beer aftertaste, it's not bothersome somehow. Since I'd never heard of this concoction, I did a little sleuthing on the internet, where I found other recipes for beer margaritas, although most of them included a big glug of vodka in the mixture. I think this is just fine the way it is, but you could add more tequila if you like it stronger. About the only instructions Phillis gave us was to not be tempted to use any fancy beer - you do not want the beer to overwhelm the limade concentrate and tequila. That's why this works. Oh, and be sure to chill the tequila. You want to start with everything veddy, veddy, chilled.

Cherrie and I prepared a dinner last night of most of the food from this cooking class, and you'll see the recipes here in coming days. So, stay tuned.

Beer Margaritas with Lime
1 whole lime, cut in wedges
1/4 cup coarse salt
24 ounces light beer, like Miller or Budweiser
1/2 cup limeade, frozen concentrate
1/2 cup tequila, chilled
ice cubes

1. Rub a wedge of lime around the rim of 4 margarita glasses and dip in salt. Fill glasses with ice and drop lime into glass.
2. In a pitcher combine the beer, limeade and tequila. Pour over ice and serve immediately.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 185 Calories; trace Fat (0.7% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 5646mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit.
Click on the title above and you can print a pdf copy of the recipe only.

No comments: